That’s adorable Hedgehog cheese balls It is the ultimate cheese with almonds, green onions and bacon!
It’s great for a woodland themed baby shower, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any special event when you simply want to introduce some magic.
There is a traditional cheese ball that I’ve seen served many times, decorated like a Christmas pine cone. I love a little whimsy for the holidays and special occasions, so I made this the centerpiece Woodland baby shower I recently hosted.
It’s a simple and delicious recipe of cheese balls with almonds, cream cheese, mayonnaise, bacon bits, dill and green onions. The magic happens when it evaporates as it cools overnight!
That’s right, I love cheese balls in all their shapes, flavors, and styles. Who can argue with ALL.HE.CHEESE? In fact, you got the best of you Cheese Ball Guide Here – it’s a compilation of everything you need to know to make the best traditional cheese ball appetizer!
don’t miss me Decorated cheese ball If you’re looking for holiday appetizer inspiration! I also have a simple and elegant way to upgrade a classic Cheese and crackers Spread out – your guests will love it.
When I’m hosting a big get-together, I look forward to preparing dishes in the future. This way I can make a little at a time without added stress. The cheese ball is the perfect appetizer for preparing appetizers and will keep for over 5 days!
Hedgehog cheese ball is as delicious as it is delicious. It is the perfect choice for a baby shower or birthday party. You can also serve it rolled into a ball for a more traditional cheese spread for soccer games, New Year’s Eve and so much more!
Why you’ll love this hedgehog cheese ball
- Simple ingredients
- Quick and easy
- move ahead
- a special feeling
components and alternatives
- cream cheese Use soft, full-fat cheese for the best flavour. Learn more about How to soften cream cheese over here.
- mayonnaise – I love mayonnaise with olive oil for a great flavour. You can also learn how to create Home made mayonnaise over here.
- bacon Chopped bacon bits work great for this recipe. Cook and crumble bacon using your favorite method – or buy precooked bits for a shortcut!
- dill herbs – dried.
- green onion – short clip.
- Salt and Pepper
- almonds – the whole left, to create the shape of a charming hedgehog!
- olive – for the eyes and nose if you like.
Curious about freezing your own cream cheese recipes? Read more at Can you freeze cream cheese Find out what works and what doesn’t!
- Try the outside of cranberries instead of almonds.
- Add 3 tablespoons of everything bagel seasoning or bacon instead.
- Try your favourites spice mix instead of dill
- Try low-fat mayonnaise and cream cheese for a healthy option.
How to make a hedgehog cheese ball
- Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, bacon bits and dill herbs.
- Add green onions, salt and pepper.
- Put it in the refrigerator until it becomes solid.
- On a plate, form a hedgehog (more oval in shape than a traditional cheese ball) using your hands or parchment paper.
- Press the almonds into the spread cheese in rows covering all but a small area on the front to create the body of the hedgehog.
- Cut the olives in half. Place one half on the front of the hedgehog to make a nose.
- Use a slice of leftover olive and cut it in half to make eyes.
- I also added a little rosemary to show it zipping through the lawn.
- Move forward – yes, you can make a great holiday appetizer ahead! Roll it tightly and add the toppings just before serving.
- Make sure the cheddar cheese ball is covered tightly. Not only does this help it keep its shape when cooling, but it keeps air from getting in and drying out the hedgehog cheese ball before it’s ready to be served.
- Fresh bacon is always best, but I think it’s okay to use a pre-made bag of bacon bits here.
- This is delicious at room temperature, but can certainly be served cold, right out of the fridge. It’s delicious either way, which is why it’s a perfect party food!
Frequently Asked Questions
Cheese balls generally have a base of cream cheese, and should not sit outside for more than two hours while serving.
If you want to make a nut-free hedgehog cheese ball, use pretzel sticks as “quills” for the hedgehog! It’s cute and fun to serve.
- Pear and apple slices are firm to spread easily. Just toss it in lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Carrots and celery are the perfect low-carb alternative to serve with a cheese ball.
- Crostini – It’s my favorite pairing! Crunchy crostini is the perfect way to enjoy cheese spread, especially when drizzled with olive oil.
- The salty pretzels are great.
- Butter cookies are always a favorite with this cheese ball.
What do you do with leftovers?
- Use leftover melted cheese ball in your favorite pasta dishes.
- add to that sandwiches or wraps.
- Add to egg dishes such as quiche.
- Place the remaining cheese ball on top of the salad.
- gluten free
- Don’t make hazelnuts empty, substitute almonds for pretzel sticks!
How to store
- at room temperature – You can leave the hedgehog cheese ball for up to 2 hours while serving.
- Cold – Make this cheese ball up to 1 day in advance and store tightly wrapped (before toppings are added). Store for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Hungry for more easy recipes? Register for me Free recipe club And get great recipes delivered straight to your inbox every week!
Prevent your screen from going dark
Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, bacon bits and dill herbs.
Add green onions, salt and pepper.
Put it in the refrigerator until it becomes solid. Shape into a ball, pine cone or hedgehog.
Insert the almonds into the spread cheese in rows.
Optional: cut the olives in half, use for the nose. Cut the olives into slices, cut them in half and squeeze out the eyes.
Calories: 148Calories (7%)And the carbohydrates: 2the master (1%)And the protein: 5the master (10%)And the Fat: 13the master (20%)And the Saturated fat: 2the master (10%)And the Cholesterol: 11mg (4%)And the sodium: 221mg (9%)And the Potassium: 90mg (3%)And the the basic: 1the master (4%)And the Vitamin A: 10IUAnd the Vitamin C: 0.1mgAnd the Calcium: 34mg (3%)And the iron: 0.5mg (3%)
Estimated nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.